Individuals with any of the following conditions are at increased risk for dementia, and screening may need screening more frequently or starting at an earlier age:
- Prediabetes or diabetes
- Heart disease or high blood pressure
- Daily alcohol use
- Current or past tobacco use
- Low physical activity (less than 150 minutes per week)
- Low cognitive activity/mental engagement
- Family history of dementia onset before age 60
- History of head injury or depression
- History of chemical exposure from mercury dental amalgams, pesticides, certain chemotherapies, indoor molds, or repeated general anesthesia
Cognoscopy involves two simple tests, one conducted with your medical provider in office, and one conducted on your computer at home. More in-depth testing may be conducted to identify treatable risk factors for high-risk individuals, those with a family history, or those with abnormalities identified on the Cognoscopy.
The PreCODE and ReCODE programs allow at-risk individuals to take back control over this diagnosis, creating a road map for proactive disease prevention. With early detection and targeted treatments, seniors and high risk individuals can thrive cognitively at any age.